Skip Navigation Links

Energy consumers

What you need to know

The Victorian Energy Efficiency Target (VEET) scheme, promoted to consumers as the Victorian Energy Upgrades program, is not a rebate scheme, but it can save you or your organisation money. It works by allowing certain businesses, known as accredited persons, to create certificates when they help you make selected energy efficiency improvements to your premises, or those of your business/organisation. Each certificate - known as a Victorian energy efficiency certificate or VEEC - represents one tonne of greenhouse gas abated. The money the accredited business makes from selling its certificates can go towards a discount on the product or appliance installed.

When seeking certificates under the scheme, either as a residential or business energy consumer, there are a few important points to remember:

  • only accredited businesses/entities can create VEECs, and only when they provide you with an approved product or appliance
  • at present, VEECs cannot be created for the installation of ceiling insulation, although under floor insulation is still eligible for the creation of certificates
  • the value of VEECs, and how much of that value the accredited business decides to pass on to you or your business/organisation, can vary. As with any purchase, you should shop around
  • in most cases, a new energy efficient appliance or product must be installed by, or on behalf of, the accredited business to be eligible for VEECs, even if the improvement is just the replacement of light globes or a shower rose
  • sometimes an energy consumer can receive an incentive simply by purchasing an appliance, but in most cases a VEET activity will involve replacing an older product or appliance. When this happens, the accredited business will need to decommission (meaning render permanently unusable) the old appliance before they can create VEECs

Activities that are affected

There are now 18 categories of energy saving activities covered by the VEET scheme, including seven specifically tailored to the business sector. These activities are listed below. For more details about which products feature on the public registers, visit the Register of products page using the menu on the left. If you are interested in a product that is listed on the register, you will need to contact an accredited business directly to see what products they offer for installation. 

  1. Water heating 
  2. Space heating and cooling*
  3. Space conditioning* 
  4. Incandescent lighting replacement 
  5. Shower roses
  6. Refrigerators/freezers 
  7. Televisions 
  8. Clothes dryers 
  9. Pool pumps 
  10. Standby power controllers
  11. In-home displays
  12. Motors**
  13. Refrigerated Display Cabinets**
  14. Refrigeration fans**
  15. Lighting upgrades**
  16. Efficient low flow trigger nozzles**
  17. Water efficient prerinse spray nozzles** 
  18. Project-based activities**

* A number of activities in this category are only available to residential premises. For more details on which activities can be conducted in residential and business premises, click here   

** These activities are only available to the business and non-residential sector.  

Remember, only products which are listed on the register can be used, regardless of which energy saving activity you are looking to undertake.

Scheduled activity premises

Prior to 1 August 2017, premises of large energy users which were previously registered participants in the Environmental Protection Agency's Environment and Resource Efficiency Plans (EREP) program were excluded from the VEET scheme. These premises, formerly known as EREP premises, are defined to be 'scheduled activity premises' (SAP) under the amended Principal Regulations.

The Principal Regulations provide new arrangements for these premises from 1 August 2017, allowing them to remain excluded from the VEET scheme or to opt-in if they wish. SAPs that opt-in are able to generate certificates under the scheme, and will create associated liabilities for energy retailers under the scheme.

To opt in, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) (however described) for the body corporate, or otherwise an occupier of the premises, must notify us using the notification template available below. For further information about scheme requirements relating to scheduled activity premises, refer to the Explanatory note - large energy users' schedule activity premises available below.

Get involved

The Victorian Government maintains a separate Victorian Energy Upgrades website dedicated to helping energy consumers get the most out of the scheme. You can access it here.

 Relevant documents and forms

 Explanatory notes

Explanatory note - large energy users' scheduled activity premises


Notification to undertake a prescribed activity by a scheduled activity premises